These instructions use US crochet terminology and standard abbreviations.
I made these samples with UK dk weight yarn (8 ply) and a size 4 mm hook.
I find the pattern works best using a ‘floppy’ yarn for the stones – i.e. not too stiff. Bamboo yarns are perfect and they also have a slight sheen which contrasts nicely with the plain cotton motifs below.
The motifs are worked first and can be joined as you go or sewn together. Then the stones are sewn onto the motifs afterwards.
You can place stones on them all – or just odd ones for a real stepping stones effect!
1. Ch 4, join into a ring.
2. Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), work 11 more dc into ring. Join with a sl st to top of ch 3. (12 dcs)
3. Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), work 2 dc into each st around, finishing with another dc into 1st st. Join with a sl st to top of ch 3. (24 dcs)
For Hexagons –
4. (Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), ch 2, dc) into 1st st, *3 hdc, (dc, ch 2 dc) rep from * 4 times, 3 hdc, join with a sl st to top of ch 3 & fasten off.
For Squares –
4. (Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), ch 2, dc) into 1st st, *hdc, sc, ch 1, miss a st, sc, hdc, (dc, ch 2 dc) – rep from * 2 times more, hdc, sc, ch 1, miss a st, sc, hdc, join with a sl st to top of ch 3 & fasten off.
To make a stepping stone –
1. Make a magic/adjustable ring/circle.
2. Ch 4 (counts as 1st tr), 11 tr into ring. Join with a sl st to top of ch 4 & fasten off leaving a long tail to sew the stone to your motif. Tighten the ring and fasten off.
To join your stepping stone to a motif –
1.The stones are sewn by sewing the back loops of each st –
2. to the top of the 1st dc row of your motif –
3. So bring your thread through the back loop of the next st, and then take a stitch around the loop at the top of a dc on the motif.
4. Carry on around the stone joining via the back loops to the motif at the top of the dc sts.
5. When you get all around the stone take your thread to the back and fasten off securely.
Because the stones are joined by the back loops and they are slightly bigger than the dc sts below, they sit proud of the motif and the un-sewn front loops of the stones frame them nicely.