The samples are made from Rowan Wool Dk yarn and a 4 mm hook.
The pattern is written using US crochet terms and standard abbreviations. Numbers in square brackets [ ] refer to the numbered pictures to help illustrate the instructions.
1. With the colour required for the inner circle make an adjustable ring and ch 3 (counts as 1st dc ; work 11 more dc into ring and tighten. Join with a sl st to top of ch 3 . (12 sts)
2. Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), work another dc into same st * work 2 dc into each stitch around. Join with a sl st and fasten off.  (24 sts)
3. With colour for ‘porthole’ ch 12 and join into a ring. 
4. Ch 1 and work 24 sc into ring. DO NOT JOIN. 
5. Ch 1 , then working over the sc sts work 24 dc into ring. You may find it easier to mark the 1st dc with a stitch marker  so that you can tell which stitch it is. Spread the 24 dc sts evenly around the ring and join into top of 1st dc and fasten off.  (24 sts)
6. You will see that the porthole ring is bigger than the inner circle – that’s how it should be. When you join it the porthole will puff out slightly because it’s bigger than the bottom circle.
7. With the porthole on top of the inner circle, and with the outer colour fasten on through both circles  and ch 2 (counts as 1st hdc) .
8. Carrying on around and working through the stitches of both the porthole and the inner circle – 2 hdc in next st * 1 hdc, 2 hdc in next st; rep from * around. Join into 2 ch with a sl st. . Back view 
To make into a hexagon –
– Ch 2 (counts as hdc), 2 sc, ch 1, miss a st, 2 sc * (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next st, 2 sc, ch 1, miss a st, 2 sc, rep from * 4 times more. Into same st as 1st 2ch work hdc, ch 2, join with a sl st to top of ch 2. Fasten off.
To make into a square –
– ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 dc, 2 hdc ,2 sc, 2 hdc, 1 dc, * (1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc) into next st, 1 dc, 2 hdc ,2 sc, 2 hdc, 1 dc, rep from * 2 times more. Working into same st as 1st ch 3, 1dc, ch 2, join with a sl st into top of ch 3. Fasten off.
I’ll be updating this pattern shortly with instructions into how to make a Puffed Porthole bag with hexagons… Back soon 🙂