My baby blanket was made from –
Rico Creative Cotton Aran ( 8 assorted colours for the bricks, and 1 ball of cream for the trim)
4.5 mm hook
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
tr – treble crochet
sl st – slip stitch
1) Ch 8 (counts as 5 ch base, then 1st dc), 1 dc into 4th ch from hook. Ch 2.
2) 2 tr into next ch.
3) 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc into next ch.
4) 2 tr into next ch. Ch 2.
5) 3 dc into last ch. Ch 2 and turn work to work back in bottom of previous row.
6) 2 tr into bottom of next ch. (working into the stitch at the bottom of the 2 tr above)
7) 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, into next ch.
8) 2 tr into next ch. Ch 2
9) 1 dc into next ch (next to starting ch 3 and dc) Sl st into top of ch 3.
If you like them above is a chart. I’m liking charts more and more!
I then join the bricks as I go by working sl sts instead of ch sts where appropriate to join. The chart below has dots to show which sts I used to join to the bricks above and to the side – I worked my bricks in rows, left to right, joining to the row above and the brick to the left.
To square the design square bricks are needed on some rows. These are worked as follows –
1) Ch 4 (counts as 1 ch and 1st dc)
2) Work the following into the 4th ch from hook – dc 1, ch 2, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch, 3 dc, 2 ch, 1 dc. Join to top of starting ch 3 with a sl st.
To make up into a baby blanket –
1) Join enough bricks to make the size you require for the centre panel. I did 15 rows of 8 bricks across.
2) Join cream into one of the joined spaces between bricks. Ch 4, sl st into next joined space. Ch 4 sl st etc. Carry on around. At corners work an extra ch 3, sl st. into each corner space.
3) Work around and join with a sl st to first join. Sl st into ch space.
4) Work 4 dc into each ch sp (ch 3 for first dc). At corners work 4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc. Carry on around joining into top of ch 3 with sl st.
5) Work as many rows as required, working a dc in each st and working 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc into each corner. I worked 4 rows of dc in total.
6) Now work bricks around the edge joining them as you go with 4 cream dc sts between each join.
Finally I finished off my blanket with a row of single crochet worked in the back loops of the outer bricks, working a sc into each of the stitches (even chain stitches) and ch 2 at each corner.
I hope the instructions are clear. For a downloadable PDF of the pattern click here. Bricks Crochet Pattern